|Important Competition Dates||
|Open Call for Entries –Online|
|Completed Projects on Display & Judging –Davenport University|
|VIP Reception –Davenport University|
|Winners Announced –Davenport University|
Zonta Club of Grand Rapids Girls Only STEM Competition is a skill competition open to girls enrolled in 5th thru 12th grade in the counties that are highlighted yellow, blue, purple, orange, green or red on the map in Exhibit A. Eligible students are invited to enter the competition by completing the following steps:
- Pay the $30 entry fee via Pay Pal. If you are not registered with Pay Pal, you may enter Pay Pal as a guest to make payment. Pay Pal accepts all major credit/debit cards and echecks. Once payment is made, you will be redirected to the Entrant Registration Page, followed by the Entrant Agreement Page, and finally returned back to the competition home page.
- All minors – Provide a completed parental/legal guardian consent form.
- Entrant or Team Captain – Complete one Project Proposal form – Deadline is
December 15, 2013.
- Competition is open to girls entering 5th thru 12th grades in the 2013-2014 school year in the counties that are highlighted yellow, blue, purple, orange, green or red on the map in Exhibit A. You may participate in only one project submission either as an entrant, or as a member of a team. A $30 entry fee is assessed per entrant. Included in the entry fee is a one year membership in the Girl Scouts. If you are already a member of Girl Scouts, you may roll over the entry fee to the following year. You may also opt to register as a Juliette, a Girl Scout who is not connected to a troop but is eligible to participate in council events, sales and community service. If entering as a team, fill out only one project proposal form, listing all members of the team as entrants. All minor entrants must have her parent’s or legal guardian’s permission to enter and participate in this competition.
- Projects must seek to make a difference in the lives of women and/or girls in one of the following categories: Legal, Political, Professional, Economic, Health, and/or Educational. Be a part of the solution by creating your project using Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Mathematics.
- Entrants will be grouped into two categories: 5th-8th grade, and 9th-12th grade. If entering as a team, all members of the team must be in the same category. Cash prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in each category. If the winner is a team, the award will be split equally among team members.
- Projects must be completed and on display and entrants must be present for presentation and judging according to the above schedule at Davenport University, 6191 Kraft Ave., Grand Rapids. Presentation to the judges is limited to 5 minutes per project. Judges will rank the projects on a maximum score of 100 points. The criteria for earning points will be based on how well the issue made a practical difference in the lives of women/girls (max score 60); the entrant(s) presence, poise and presentation (max score 20); and the conclusion report (max score 20). In the event of a tie, the judges will interview the entrants based on this same criteria to break the tie.
- Mentors/Parents/Teachers are allowed to aid the students in this process; however, the project must be the result of the students own work and research. Day passes to the Geek Group, a non-profit organization dedicated to scientific and technological research and education, are available for $10/entrant/day by clicking on the “buy pass” button at www.zontagr.org/fair. Once purchased, a coupon will be emailed to you that you must present on your visit. You must schedule your visit in advance by calling the number on the coupon. Entrants under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
EXHIBIT A – Eligibility Map